Very informative and relaxed tour – Our guide was great and gave us ample time to tour and relax. She was very knowledgeable and stayed on time.
A Two Hour Stroll Through Freemason History
Visit One of the Largest Masonic Temples in the World
Explore the Background of One of France’s Most Important Masonic Centres
Hand-Picked Guides Only. English-Speaking, Local Experts
200€ Per Group
Minimum 2 People, Max Group Size 15.
Available all year round, on request, except May 1st, Dec. 25th, Jan. 1st
Private Walking Tour
Tour begins at hotel or dedicated pickup point TBC.
- Pick up and return at hotel in Bordeaux center
- Services of a certified English speaking tour guide
- 2 hour tour
- Personal insurance and expenses
- Meals and drinks
- Entrance fees to monuments, museums, attractions
- Gratuities for the guide
Uncover Bordeaux’s Masonic Past with an Expert Guide
Freemasonry appeared in Bordeaux in 1732 with the creation by three sailors originating from Britain or Ireland of the masonic lodge “L’Anglaise”. By the end of the 18th century, the number of freemasons in Bordeaux reached 2000, making it one of the most important masonic cities of France. As you stroll through the city, your guide will point out masonic symbols that cover the façades of numerous private mansions, as you listen to the tales that link Bordeaux freemasons with the West Indies, the slave trade, the Guillotine and discover what some consider to be the largest masonic temple in the world.
Good to Know
- Tour requires minimum 2 passengers (adults) to operate
- Tour is operated in English, other languages on request
- All guides are French locals who are fully licensed. Our guides are just like France: warm, interesting and passionate
- Tour involves some walking, comfortable walking shoes are recommended
- This tour is not recommended for persons with reduced mobility
- This tour is not wheelchair accessible
- Price is per group, from 2 to maximum 15 persons
- Prices are listed as a guide only
- Currency is in Euro
- Our standard cancellation policy applies to this tour – Read More Here.
Totally enjoyed the experience! – Found the tour guides to be knowledgeable and competent of the area and wineries. They were highly courteous and respectful.
Wonderful tours in Bordeaux – During our stay in Bordeaux, we went on two wine tours. We enjoyed them a lot! My favorite was the tour of Margaux. Delphine is a sweet girl, she is a great tour guide!
Excellent!! – Very nice trip. Our guide Karim was very cool and showed a great knowledge about wines. The wineries visited were very good too!
Great tour to Medoc! – Highly recommend this tour, will do it again next time someone visits. Our guide was enthusiastic, funny and knowledgeable, and we learnt a lot at the château’s we visited.
The Ophorus Difference
Contagious Enthusiasm – ‘We had the most terrific guide! Very knowledgeable and enthusiastic’ – Virginia B. (Delaware, US)
Flexibility – ‘The guides really took an interest in what WE wanted to do’ Paul C. (UK)
Area Locals – ‘He was so much more than a driver. He really added local color and local flavor.’ Daniel W. (Georgia, US)
Read more about the Ophorus experience.